Wednesday 2 May 2012

Just a short update today as we are still moored at Bardney Lock.  I walked the dogs as far as Fiskerton Fen this morning and apart from a pair of cyclists, that Jake was keen to chase, saw no-one.  However watched a heron across the river sitting so still that at first I thought it was a fence post and saw saw two goldfinches at the lock.  Walking carefully trying to avoid standing on snails.  Not the big ones that you get in the garden but small ones with very pretty shells, that I seem to remember being plentiful when I was a child and that you rarely seem to see anymore.  I think that must be because they are all here.

I looked at the lock this morning and the water level is definitely dropping.  Graham got loads of jobs done today and I did some cooking and made a cake.  It is a long time since I have made a cake without benefit of a mixer.  It turned out ok though judging by the amount that has disappeared (haha)!

When we strolled up to the lock this evening the water level had continued dropping through the day and I think we may move tomorrow and head back to Lincoln.  I will be sorry not to get to Boston but perhaps we will have an opportunity to visit another time.  We have enjoyed our time at Bardney Lock especially seeing short eared owls for the first time.  


The view from the boat

No comments:

Post a Comment