Sunday 22 July 2012

 We left the mooring basin at Llangollen yesterday morning after enjoying our 48 hour stay.  We did a fair bit of walking whilst here, on the first day taking the dogs for a walk to Horseshoe Falls, following behind the horse drawn boat for part of the way.

We also walked up to the remains of Castell Dinas Bran, which was a good walk uphill.  Been a long time since I walked on anything other than flat ground.  I find I am not quite as fit as I had thought, still it was a good cardiac workout.  I think Graham may have found his legs aching as well!


Horse drawn boat trip at LLangollen

Horseshoe Falls
On Friday afternoon we walked along by the River Dee and watched the steam train pulling into Llangollen station.  Also had a walk round Llangollen and looked into the window of a Taxidermist.  Apparently everything on display has died of natural causes or is roadkill.  A very impressive display I suppose, but I can never really get my head around why people wan't to display dead animals.
Steam train in Llangollen Station
We are now waiting at the top of the Montgomery Canal waiting to book into the locks and descend onto the Montgomery Canal tomorrow (hopefully).  A pleasant journey back here a distance of about 15 miles, which we did in leisurely fashion, arriving here at about 12:30 and spending the afternoon doing very little.

We came back across the Pontcysyllte Aquaduct, which as close as I can get is I think pronounced pont-kuh-suth-te.  Anyone reading this who knows better please let me know!  There were a lot more people around this time and we appeared to provide a photo opportunity for several people.



we provided a subject for several photographs!
The Montgomery Canal comes highly recommended by Sue, the C&RT lady at the LLangollen moorings so we are looking forward to spending a few days enjoying the peace and tranquility.

No comments:

Post a Comment