Thursday 12 July 2012

On Tuesday we made our way back to the Anderton Lift and moored up overnight so that we could go to the office the next day and go back up onto the Trent and Mersey Canal.  I phoned the lock keeper as we approached Saltersford Lock and he obviously thought that I didn't know where we were.  Asked if I was sure I was phoning the right lock and then was I sure we were going up.  Having clarified this he then let me know that we may have to wait as there was a boat coming down.  My heart always sinks when some bloke calls me love and asks if I'm sure I know what I am on about.  May have to get the Mister, otherwise known as Graham, to talk to lockie's in future (haha).

Walked the dogs on Wednesday morning ending up at the booking office and went in to book the lift.  Was informed that the Weaver is closed due to the fast flow, although the lift is still working.  This is good as it means we can get back onto the canal today.  The river has now been closed twice within the week we have been on it (are we jinxing it).


Going up in the Anderton Lift



The River Weaver seen from the Anderton Lift

Exiting the Lift


Now back on the Trent and Mersey Canal and have to stop at Northwich to take Truly to the vet for her annual booster jab.  Graham found a vet on the internet which is close to the canal and they said if we gave them a ring when we were close they would fit us in.  Got an appointment for 5:00pm which all went well and then went to Tesco for a few essential items.  Bought fish and chips on the way back which tasted good!

Today (Thursday) has been a long day.  Originally we said we would moor up early but ended up cruising until 5:00pm.  We stopped of in Middlewich for the rest of the shopping but when we were finished decided to carry on and find a quiet rural mooring.  Lots of boats around today, especially Black Prince hire boats, which are due back at base (Acton Bridge) early Saturday morning.  Came through the locks at Middlewich and turned onto the Shropshire Union Canal.  Moored up in a nice quiet and empty spot, but two other boats have had the same idea so there are now three of us.  Next destination is Chester and then Ellsmere Port.  Six locks today all of which we had to work ourselves.  I have got quite used to lock keepers doing it for me, back to reality now.



Croxton Aquaduct


Some of the bridges are split to allow the tow rope in horse drawn days to pass through



No comments:

Post a Comment